• Mark Travell

Can a Sole Trader get a mortgage?

GREAT NEWS! You set up your own business and your enjoying life to the maximum, but now you need to get a mortgage. Hopefully you’ll find this helpful.

Can a Sole Trader get a mortgage?

So something we get asked a lot is whether I can get a mortgage if I'm self employed, well the simple answer is YES you can. Most lenders in the market will ask that you've got at least two or three years full accounts when you run your own business, however, there are still options for those of you that haven't quite got two years accounts or maybe you’ve just finished your first year. So fear not, your new mortgage deal could be closer than you think.

How is affordability worked out for Sole Traders?

So let's explore this in a bit more detail and we'll start with those that have got two or three years accounts. Lenders will typically look to use an average of your net profits from the last two or three years. Normally, if you only recently started your business, your latest year's profits might be higher than the previous year because of start-up costs and increased business revenue and sometimes this increase in profit can be quite substantial. If this is the case with your business, the good news is that some lenders in the market will use the latest year’s profits, but, if your income has decreased they would typically only use the decreased income.

REMEMBER : Your affordability is worked out using your NET profits – NOT your turnover!

So, let's say you turned over £40,000 but you declared £20,000 of expenses such as fuel, materials, advertising and so on, then in this instance your net profits would be £20,000 and this would be the figure used for affordability. Basically, it's quite important that when you're looking to obtain a mortgage, your accounts look the best they can.

So what if you have less than 2 years trading accounts?

If you haven’t quite got two years accounts or you have just finished your first year, then don’t fear! There could still be options for you as a couple of lenders only require 1 years completed accounts.

So how do you go about getting a Sole Trader mortgage?

If you’re a Sole Trader looking to get a mortgage, you will want to discuss your options with a mortgage broker first; they'll be able to let you know what you can borrow based on your income and search the whole of the market to find you the most suitable deal.

We hope this short article gives you hope as a Sole Trader and if you would like to discuss your options with a human being, then our team of professional mortgage advisers at Robin Mortgage Design would be happy to help. Just give us a call on 0333 242 3863.

Good Luck with your new mortgage

Written by Mark Travell, Director of Robin Mortgage Design

#SoleTraderMortgage #SoleTraders #SoleTraderMortgageBroker


Robin Mortgage Design may charge a fee for arranging your mortgage, a typical fee would be £395.00 but could be up £1,495.00 depending on your circumstances.

The information in this blog is only valid for the date it is written.

101 views0 comments

Recent Posts

See All

Request Your Free Consultation

No Cost, No Obligation

Referred to us? Please enter the name of the person who recommended us as we would like to say thank you.

How would you like us to contact you?

By submitting the information in this form you voluntarily choose to provide personal details to us via this website. Personal information will be treated as confidential by us and held in accordance with the appropriate data protection requirements.

Our postal address

Robin Mortgage Design

22 South Street


Milton Keynes


MK19 7EL

Our contact number
Our email address


The information contained in this website is subject to UK regulatory regime and is therefore intended for consumers based in the UK.

Not all forms of mortgage lending such as certain Buy to Lets are regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority along with some additional related services, such as Conveyancing. A full disclosure document will be provided to you.

If you are considering securing additional debts against your home: Think carefully about securing other debts against your home. Your home may be repossessed if you do not keep up repayments on a mortgage or other debt secured on it.

Some links on this website will take you to third party websites. Robin Mortgage Design have no control over and are not responsible for the content of other sites.

*some services are by provided as a referral to a third party company. No personal information will be shared with such companies without your prior permission. Robin Mortgage Design have no control over these companies and cannot be held accountable for their service or advice.

Robin Mortgage Design is a trading style of Robin Partnership Ltd whom is an appointed representative of HL Partnership Limited, which is authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority.  The registered Office of Robin Partnership Ltd is 22 South Street, Castlethorpe, Milton Keynes, Buckinghamshire, MK19 7EL. For more information please refer to the FCA register https://register.fca.org.uk


Robin Mortgage Design charge a broker fee which is only payable on mortgage offer. The precise amount will depend upon your circumstances however a typical fee is £395.00 and the maximum that could be charged is £1,495.00